Shaping the Future 2021 Registration
Day 1 | Thursday September 23rd
9:00 AM – Welcome and Introductions:
Invocation by the Honorable Chairwoman Cecile Hansen, Duwamish Tribe
9:20 AM – Keynote:
The fight for True Stories: A conversation with Nikole Hannah-Jones, Domestic Correspondent for the New York Times Magazine And Nichole June Maher, Group Health Foundation CEO
10:20 AM – Break
10:30 AM – Cohort introductions
10:50 AM – Transition to panels and workshops
10:55 AM – Lessons from the Field: Panels + Workshops – Day 1
11:55 AM – Break
12:05 PM – Cohort time
12:30 PM – Large group sharing and weaving together panel experience
12:50 PM – Closing day one
Day 1 | Lessons from the Field: Panel + Workshop Links
1. Organizing for Environmental Justice: Click here to join
2. Addressing Anti-Blackness and State Sanctioned Violence: Click here to join
3. Organizing for Disability Access and Self-Determination: Click here to join
4. Leading Through Care & Working from Culture to Build Community Power: Click here to join
5. Storytelling for Change: Click here to join
6. The Nuts & Bolts of 501c4 Organizations and Organizing: Click here to join
7. Accessing Federal Funds: The American Rescue Plan: Click here to join
Day 2 | Friday September 24th
9:00 AM – Welcome to day two
9:15 AM – Cohort time
9:30AM – Transition to panels and workshops
9:35 AM – Lessons from the Field: Panels + Workshops – Day 2
10:30 AM – Break
10:40 AM – Cohort time
11:15 AM – Break
11:25 AM – Large group sharing and weaving together panel experience
11:50 AM – Concluding remarks
Jonathan Jayes-Green, Marguerite Casey Foundation VP of Programs
12:00 PM – Closing day two
Day 2 | Lessons from the Field: Panel + Workshop Links
1. Political Advocacy and Organizing in Small Cities and Rural Communities: Click here to join
2. LGBTQIA+ Organizing Across Washington state: Click here to join
3. Building Community Wealth: Click here to join
4. Immigrant Justice: Click here to join
5. Engaging Across Indian Country: Click here to join
6. Building Community-Rooted Statewide Organizing: Click here to join
7. Anti-Racist Fundraising Practices: Click here to join
8. Storytelling for change: Click here to join
What is a cohort?
For those who attended last year’s event, this year’s format will be slightly different. All participants will be assigned to cohorts. If this were an in-person event, your cohort would be your table mates. Small group discussions and social time will take place within your cohort. To find your cohort number click here:
Who is Shaping the Future For?
We are inviting one leader from each organization across the state who are receiving Community Learning Grants or Systems, Power, and Action funding—more than 250 organizations. This event is designed by and for organizational leaders and we strongly encourage each nonprofit sends its executive director, CEO, president, or those who serve in similar roles.
You can see a list of our Community Learning and System, Power, and Action grant recipients here.
Can more than one person from my organization attend?
Because the number of organizations participating has doubled since last year’s convening, we are asking each organization to register only one person. Once it is safe for us to convene in person, we may consider opening it up to more than one person per organization.
What if I have other questions?
Feel free to email email@example.com or reach out to your Group Health Foundation program officer.
Meet the team!
Shaping the Future 2021 is brought to you by the following design team members!
- Jasmine Tolbert, NAACP Vancouver
- Julian Matthews, Nimiipuu Protecting the Environment
- Lupe Mares, Communities in School Benton-Franklin
- Mady Sandoval, Foundation for Youth Resiliency and Engagement
- Mayra Colazo, Central Washington Disability
- Paula Marshall, Madres De Casino Road
- Sandra Williams, The Black Lens
- Taffy Johnson, UTOPIA Washington
- Marcela Diaz (Facilitator), The Vida Agency
- Teddy McGlynn Wright (Facilitator), In the Works
- Brenda Anibarro, Group Health Foundation
- Jorge Gutierrez, Group Health Foundation